Saturday, 8 July 2017

GEYLANG ADVENTURES ;)

It has been a dreadful week but I'm glad it ended on a positive note - spent my Friday night going for Geylang Adventures( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I was initially going to reject the offer because I wanted to go home early and rest... but I found myself hesitating to send the "sorry I can't make it" message. Deep down, I knew I really wanted to go for it, so I told myself to stop being a lazy ass and just GO FOR IT.

AND I HAVE NO REGRETS.

The guide, Yinzhou, grew up in Geylang. This is probably very uncommon, considering Geylang's reputation as a red light district. What this means is that Yinzhou has a very unique perspective of Geylang. The back alleys we avoid were his backyard, the streetwalkers we hear of and peer at discreetly were his neighbours.

He has a sharper observation and deeper understanding of many things that go unnoticed, and it was truly eye-opening when he pointed them out and explained to us.

Having lived there since young, he also saw first-hand how things have changed over the years and the consequences of policies that were implemented.

I shall not reveal too much of what we learned during the tour, because that would take away the fun ;)

During the tour, we also dropped by this provision shop that has been around for many many years.

The shop had lots of interesting knick knacks, like this tin-can pulley system that many shops in the past used for storing money. The shop owner still uses it today!

She also sold things like antique Coca Cola trays, perfumes, etc. I bought a mug from the 70s that says "Guinness Stout is good for you", heh heh.

Oh, we also had a film crew from Channel NewsAsia because they wanted to produce a documentary featuring Geylang Adventures. Never tell us in advance, otherwise I would've worn make up HAHAHA.

We also dropped by this dessert shop to take a break. Yinzhou used this chance to answer any questions we might have and explain certain things in detail, since it was difficult to stand around and talk when we were standing along the streets.

We also got to recharge with some mango pomelo sago, gui lin gao and steamed milk. Shioks ~

-

I don't have many photos because I didn't want to photograph anything sensitive or wave my phone around while walking along back alleys. Ultimately, experiencing it in person with your five senses is still the best way to take it all in.

The tour costs $35 and I would recommend it 10/10. It showed me the hidden, the complexities, the tensions, the consequences and so much more. It's always refreshing to experience a part of Singapore from a different perspective.

I don't think I manage to fully encapsulate the trip so why not give it a try to see for yourself? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment