Sunday, 1 November 2015

INTERN ADVENTURES: CIRQUE DU SOLEIL'S TOTEM

Caught Cirque du Soleil's TOTEM last Wednesday and it was awesome. Now, I hate it when people overuse 'awesome', but this literally induces awe.

All those stunts and gravity-defying acts that seem so humanly impossible left me fearing for their lives and going "ohhhhh shhhhhhhit" as they were performing because it was just so bloody incredulous how someone of the same species as me can accomplish something like that. Me, I cough for a week and my stomach muscles start to ache. Sigh, I am a disappointment to the human race.

Balancing on unicycles while kicking bowls and catching them with their heads. I can't even climb up that unicycle.

I should have taken a video instead, but this was stunning. It's like juggling but even better


The one thing that I disliked was the confusing storyline.
TOTEM traces the fascinating journey of the human species from its original amphibian state to its ultimate desire to fly. 
I was expecting the plot to be a chronological unfolding of human's evolution. Instead, they showed us frogs, then people going to the beach, then monkeys, then businessmen, then monkeys and scientists, then some tribal people on roller-skates. I don't know, I was rather confused by the sequence of the performance.

Still, this was supposed to be a circus show and the storyline is secondary to the performance. It was overall an incredible show - I loved the costumes, the (very alive and versatile) stage, the soundtrack and most of all the stunts.

Free tickets because job perks teehee.

And Nichol, my TOTEM buddy!

And I think watching this video will give a clearer idea of how the show went, because my descriptions and photos are rather inadequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment